Our family loves chicken tenders. Okay, two of the toddlers refuse to eat any type of meat. The rest of us enjoy these crispy, tasty morsels, though! When I started following the keto diet (which helped me win the 2018 Orangetheory Transformation Challenge), though, I thought those days were behind me. After all, chicken tenders are covered in breading and, well, I can’t have that. Fortunately, it turns out that many people have also been craving low carb, keto recipe for fried chicken tenders!
Fortunately, I found many blogs and Instagram accounts filled with tips on how to make my own. With a few tweaks (and one terrible, disastrous attempt), we ended up with these. Guys, they are delicious — juicy and crunchy without all the carbs. Yes, please!
All Aboard the Keto Train!
While Josh and Joshua eat pretty much anything you put in front of them, my daughter, Hayley, jumped on the keto train almost a year ago and she’s never looked back. In fact, I think she’s even stricter than I am because she hates how bloated and groggy she feels when she’s eaten a lot of carbs. She’s definitely my toughest critic when it comes to keto recipes and she declared this one a hit!
How is that possible, you ask? It’s so simple, it’s almost unbelievable — just substitute the white flour and breadcrumbs with almond flour and pork rinds. Wait — did I just say pork rinds? Yes, I did! Put some in a baggie or blender and crush them until they are a crumby (don’t over do it, though, or they will end up kind of…gummy?).
Keto Fried Chicken Tenders (Chick-Fil-A Copy Cat!)
While the recipe below is for frying in oil, I’ve had great success baking these and/or putting them in my air fryer. This is one of those recipes that will require a little experimentation on your part, but once you’ve mastered it, you will want to make it again and again.
Of course, you can’t have your low carb keto fried chicken tenders without the right dipping sauce, am I right? Whip up a batch of this copycat recipe for Chick-Fil-A sauce and you’ll be in heaven. Trust me!
- 8 chicken tenders
- 24 oz jar of pickles (just the juice!)
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1.5 cups finely crushed pork rinds
- coconut oil for frying
- For sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbs sugar free sweetener (I prefer monkfruit)
- 1 tbs sugar free barbecue sauce
For the Keto Fried Chicken Tenders:
- Combine almond flour, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Put chicken tenders and pickle juice in a large resealable bag. It’s best to let it marinade overnight, but an hour should do the trick!
- Along with the bowl of almond flour mixture, grab two more bowls – one for the beaten eggs and one for the crushed pork rinds.
- Coat the chicken in almond flour mixture, dip in the eggs and then roll in the pork rinds. Make sure the tenders are well coated!
- Heat two inches of coconut oil in a pan over medium/high heat. Cook tenders in batches. You don’t want to overcrowd the pan!
- Cook for 5-8 minutes per side or until golden brown.
Low Carb Copycat Chick-Fil-A Sauce
In a small bowl, add ingredients and mix well. Enjoy!