Last Updated on
In the chilly winter months, chili has always been one of my favorite ways to warm up. My grandmother used to make the most incredible batches. Truth be told, I wish I could go back and appreciate it more. I don’t know what her secret ingredient was, but I’m guessing it involved lots of love (and maybe some sugar…). I’m not sure how she’d feel about me seeking out a low carb keto chili recipe, but I’m hoping she’d love it.
After finding a great recipe on Wholesome Yum, I gathered my ingredients and said a little prayer. Granny had just passed away, and a bowl of chili was the perfect way to feel close to her. Fortunately, this recipe for a low carb keto chili is easy and delicious!
Using a slow cooker or Instant Pot allows the flavors to really mesh together. I never even noticed the beans were missing! While I go through phases when I skip dairy, I like to top my bowl of chili with cheese, sour cream, green onions and even guacamole. The added fat helps me make my keto macros since I prefer to use ground turkey over ground beef.
- 2 1/2 lb Ground turkey or chicken
- 1/2 large Onion (chopped)
- 8 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 2 15-oz can Diced tomatoes (with liquid)
- 1 6-oz can Tomato paste
- 1 4-oz can Green chilies (with liquid)
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup Chili powder
- 2 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Dried oregano
- 2 tsp Sea salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 medium Bay leaf
- 1 tbsp Cooking oil (such as Olive Oil)
- 1 cup Chicken broth (for Instant Pot method)
For Slow Cooker Chili:
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and sauté for , until translucent. Add garlic and cook for a minute or less, until fragrant.
- Add the ground turkey or chicken. Cook for , breaking apart until browned.
- Transfer the mixture to your slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients (except the bay leaf!) and stir to combine. Place the bay leaf into the middle.
- Cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high. Remove bay leaf before serving.
For Instant Pot Chili:
Remove lid and set aside. Select the “Sauté” setting on the pressure cooker. Add oil and chopped onion, sauté for , until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for a minute or less, until fragrant.Add the ground turkey or chicken. Cook for , breaking apart until browned.
Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Add a cup of chicken broth. Place the bay leaf on top in the middle.
Close the lid. Press “Keep Warm/Cancel” and then press the “Meat/Stew” setting (35 minutes) to start pressure cooking.
It’s best to wait for natural release, if you can. For quick release, turn the valve to “vent.” If you used a bay leaf, remove it before serving.