In the chilly winter months, chili has always been one of my favorite ways to warm up. My grandmother used to make the most incredible batches. Truth be told, I wish I could go back and appreciate it more. I don’t know what her secret ingredient was, but I’m guessing it involved lots of love (and maybe some sugar…). I’m not sure how she’d feel about me seeking out a low carb keto chili recipe, but I’m hoping she’d love it.
After finding a great recipe on Wholesome Yum, I gathered my ingredients and said a little prayer. Granny had just passed away, and a bowl of chili was the perfect way to feel close to her. Fortunately, this recipe for a low carb keto chili is easy and delicious!
Using a slow cooker or Instant Pot allows the flavors to really mesh together. I never even noticed the beans were missing! While I go through phases when I skip dairy, I like to top my bowl of chili with cheese, sour cream, green onions and even guacamole. The added fat helps me make my keto macros since I prefer to use ground turkey over ground beef.
- 2 1/2 lb Ground turkey or chicken
- 1/2 large Onion (chopped)
- 8 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 2 15-oz can Diced tomatoes (with liquid)
- 1 6-oz can Tomato paste
- 1 4-oz can Green chilies (with liquid)
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup Chili powder
- 2 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Dried oregano
- 2 tsp Sea salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 medium Bay leaf
- 1 tbsp Cooking oil (such as Olive Oil)
- 1 cup Chicken broth (for Instant Pot method)
For Slow Cooker Chili:
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and sauté for , until translucent. Add garlic and cook for a minute or less, until fragrant.
- Add the ground turkey or chicken. Cook for , breaking apart until browned.
- Transfer the mixture to your slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients (except the bay leaf!) and stir to combine. Place the bay leaf into the middle.
- Cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high. Remove bay leaf before serving.
For Instant Pot Chili:
Remove lid and set aside. Select the “Sauté” setting on the pressure cooker. Add oil and chopped onion, sauté for , until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for a minute or less, until fragrant.Add the ground turkey or chicken. Cook for , breaking apart until browned.
Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Add a cup of chicken broth. Place the bay leaf on top in the middle.
Close the lid. Press “Keep Warm/Cancel” and then press the “Meat/Stew” setting (35 minutes) to start pressure cooking.
It’s best to wait for natural release, if you can. For quick release, turn the valve to “vent.” If you used a bay leaf, remove it before serving.