Last Updated on
I love chicken wings. Before using keto for anxiety and weight loss, though, I’d always order the boneless variety. I’ve just never been very good at picking the bone clean! At home, I didn’t want to go through the hassle of making them. They just never come out right in the oven. After starting my keto journey, though, I was on a mission to find the best keto air fryer wings!
Why the air fryer, you ask? There are many, many reasons. First, I didn’t want to deal with hot oil of any kind since I have three very curious toddlers running around the house. Second, I needed something quick and reliable. Third, as soon as I used my air fryer for the first time, I wanted to use it every day. It’s hard to believe that was almost a year ago!
Keto Chicken Wings in the Air Fryer – Easy Tips!
Now, when I make my wings, I feel like a pro. Here are some of the things I’ve learned:
- Wiping down the wings with a paper towel to remove excess moisture gives them a crispier texture.
- Different seasonings make for an entirely different meal (great since keto can get repetitive!).
- Salt and pepper is a great base when experimenting with sauces.
- Putting seasonings and raw wings in a gallon baggie and then shaking vigorously works best.
Of course, you’ll have to find a method and flavor profile that works for you, but even just a dash of cayenne pepper can be life changing. Just saying! Be sure to check if which toppings are keto-friendly, and then go to town experimenting with all the flavors. It’s really so much fun!
This method is so easy that there’s almost no point to sharing a recipe. Here’s the quick and easy method I use to make my keto air fryer wings:
- Wipe down the wings and allow them to dry.
- Add seasonings to a gallon baggie along with the wings and give it a good shake.
- Layer wings in the air fryer and cook on 400 for 15-20 minutes (I like them very crispy).
- Rotate or shake wings every five to seven minutes.
- Eat plain or toss with Buffalo sauce or butter (then sprinkle with Parmesan!).
One important to tip to share: Avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket! For best results, give each piece of chicken room to crisp up. You can stack the wings, if you need to. Just make sure you check on them every five minutes and shake/rotate them. That will help them cook uniformly and crisp up all the surfaces.
Keto Chicken Wings Recipe for Air Fryer
Whether it’s for the Super Bowl or just a weekly craving, we thoroughly enjoy a plate full of chicken wings in this house. We all have slightly different preferences, but we keep the seasoning pretty uniform. Salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder is our go-to base and then everyone can add whatever sauces they like. We hope you enjoy these!
- 16 chicken wing drummettes
- 1 tsp salt (or any other preferred cooking oil)
- 1/2 tsp pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup Frank’s Red Hot buffalo wing sauce
Using a paper towel, dry your chicken wings before seasoning. Place them in a bowl or baggie and pour the salt, pepper and garlic powder over top, tossing or shaking to combine.
Place the chicken wings into the basket and put them in the air fryer.
Cook on 400 degrees for 25 minutes, remove basket to flip wings (or shake the basket) every five minutes.
Return the chicken to the air fryer. Allow the chicken to cook an additional five minutes.
Serve as is or coat in Frank’s or your favorite low carb wing sauce.